top of page

A 501(c)3 Organization
All Posts


Restaurants of yesteryear: Red Baron
The corner of 1100 South and Main began to transition from orchards to businesses in 1960 when the Bay View Motel was constructed. In December of 1971, Frank Goddard opened a restaurant and named it the “Red Baron.” It was “designed to accommodate family dining plus evening type atmosphere.” The Red Baron had the “Red Baron Room” (mostly decorated in red) on the east for family dining, a spacious foyer, and the Blue Max Room (mostly decorated in blue) on the west for “an even

Ken Bott
Jun 151 min read


Restaurants of yesteryear: The Tropical
On July 23, 1955, the Tropical Restaurant opened at 128 S. Main with buffet breakfasts and lunches and smorgasbord dinners. It was opened by Mr. and Mrs. Morris Nuttall, Morris being both proprietor and head chef. Their son, Keith, also cooked and participated in running the restaurant. The restaurant closed early in 1968 after years of supporting the community. Do you know additional history or have memories of the Tropical? We'd love to hear. A "Family Fun Center" was debat

Ken Bott
Jun 81 min read


Brigham City Cemetery
In honor of Memorial Day/Decoration Day, here are some photos of the Brigham City Cemetery from years past... In the photo of the John H. Bott headstone, notice the young pine trees that still line the road. Some photos from the Compton Collection of the Merrill-Cazier Library at USU. All photos are used for educational, nonprofit, and noncommercial purposes only Circa 1896. Compton photo from Cemetery Hill with Compton family waiting below Circa 1896 Circa 1905 Circa 1922 Ci

Ken Bott
May 241 min read


Restaurants of yesteryear: C&D/Bill's Mr. Big
At 777 N. Main stands a building that was a restaurant for many years. Maybe you can help us put together the history of these two restaurants. Bill's Drive In opened first in the late 1950s. On Nov. 10, 1960, the "Grand Opening" of C&D's "Mr. Big" Drive-In opened and was run by Cliff Hobson and Dean Tanner. Cliff and Dean (C&D) also appear to have opened a pizza business and owned the Frostop for a time. An ad on February 18, 1965 noted that "Bill and Farrel are back at" Bil

Ken Bott
May 221 min read


Restaurants of yesteryear: Frostop/A-1
Brigham City had a Frostop Drive-In in the 60s and 70s. It stood at 20 W and 200 South, now Smith's. Box Elder Journal 6/16/1960 Box Elder Journal September, 1960

Ken Bott
May 211 min read


Restaurants of yesteryear: Arctic Circle
Arctic Circle Brigham City had an Arctic Circle in the 60s and 70s. It stood at 808 S. Main Street and is now Burgers and Scoops. Here are some pics and ads to reminisce... Box Elder Journal March 7, 1968 Box Elder Journal December 26, 1974 The building more recently

Ken Bott
May 191 min read


Box Elder High School
Here are some photos of the "new" Box Elder High School. All photos are for educational, nonprofit, and noncommercial uses only.

Ken Bott
May 121 min read


"There's gold in them thar hills"
A fascinating story was told around the year 1868 in Brigham City. A man named William Neeley, who lived in Brigham City and had a homestead in Mantua, was returning home from Mantua, across the mountains, when he stopped to rest. He noted a ledge "from northeasterly in the mountain" that appeared to be pure gold. He broke off several pieces but was only able to bring one piece down the mountain with him. He reportedly showed this piece of gold to Lorenzo Snow, Alvin Nichols,

Ken Bott
May 92 min read


M.H. King Company in Brigham City
The M.H. King Company opened in Brigham City in 1957. It had a bright red sign that was visible for many years. While the sign was eventually covered, recent remodeling exposed that the sign remains behind the new facade. The M. H. King in Tremonton lasted until 2017, when all King's stores closed. Any memories of going to King's? Does anyone remember or have photos of Franks and Mirth that stood nearby in the 1980s? https://www.ebay.com/itm/297421066985 All photos are used f

Ken Bott
May 51 min read


Spot on Main: Through the YearsOlof Parsons/Oluf O. Pehrson Tinsmith
For 51 years, Olof Parsons owned and operated a sheet metal shop at approximately 77 S. Main. The shop stood just south of a building that was originally a store for N.C. Mortensen, Anderson Produce, Packer Motor, Christensen’s, among others, and currently home of the Brigham City Chamber of Commerce. After Olof’s passing, the building was used by other companies until it was eventually torn down, presumably to allow easier access to parking behind the building. Olof was born

Ken Bott
Apr 301 min read


Brigham City’s Sugar Factory
In 1903, the Utah Idaho Sugar Company built a $1,000,000 sugar factory in Garland, Utah. Due to high demand for sugar, it was decided to build another factory in Brigham City in 1916. A site was chosen just around 900 West and north of 600 North on “Watery Lane,” named for the Box Elder Creek running parallel to it. The area is in the vicinity of the Trestlewood Company currently. E.H. Dyer built the plant and it was stocked with used equipment from a discontinued sugar plant

Ken Bott
Apr 272 min read


Hidden History
An old building is somewhat hidden off of 100 N. It has stood since at least 1935 when it was captured in a photograph while the old high school gymnasium was being built. Do you know the history of this building? We'd love to know it! Photographs are used for educational, nonprofit, and noncommercial purposes only. 1935 during construction of the gymnasium A more recent photograph Circa 1936

Ken Bott
Apr 231 min read


Abraham Hunsaker Home
Abraham Hunsaker was an influential figure in the histories of Brigham City, Mantua, and Honeyville. While in Brigham City, Abraham had at least two homes- one on Main Street and another on the corner of 100 E and Forest St. Here is the home that stood on Main Street at approximately 363 S. The home was razed in the 1980s after standing for over 100 years. Using ChatGPT, we took the following photos to create an image of the home of how it may have looked in earlier days. Ple

Ken Bott
Apr 211 min read


Brigham City’s Outdoor Movie Theater
On Memorial Day, 1949, George Craghead opened the “Auto-Vu,” a state-of-the-art outdoor movie theater, in Brigham City. It stood on Highway 91 near the mouth of Box Elder Canyon with the screen near Cemetery Hill. The business reportedly did very well in its first year and also sponsored a benefit for victims of polio, giving all money from an appointed night to the Box Elder County chapter of the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis. Ads for the theater ran in local n

Ken Bott
Apr 161 min read


Through the years: About 320 S Main
Around 1900 1940s-50s Around 2008 More recently

Ken Bott
Apr 131 min read


The Old Box Elder High School
Taken from: https://brighamcityhistory.org/edu.../box-elder-high-school/ “In June of 1908, the Board of Education acquired the land which was to be the home of Box Elder High School. This site, commonly known as Academy Square, included major portions of two blocks located between 4th and 5th East Streets and between 1st North and 1st South. The school buildings were located on the block south of Forest and the athletic field and future gymnasium building on the block north o

Ken Bott
Apr 93 min read


Brigham City Municipal Golf Course
Around 1941, the local Lions Club began pushing for a golf course in Brigham City. The area north of the junction of US30 and SR69 (900 North Main Street) was selected and, at the time, was a pasture, cattle shed, and feed yard. The Brigham City Diner and Gas Station stood at the junction (pictures included). The area was largely a bog due to the ground being filled with springs. In 1947, they started to work on managing the groundwater issue and had the area largely prepared

Ken Bott
Apr 22 min read


Through the Years: Box Elder Canyon
Pictures are for educational, nonprofit, and noncommercial purposes only 1897-98- Note that it is labeled "BCHS" (Brigham City High School) prior to "BEHS" (Box Elder High School) Circa 1910 Circa 1910 Circa 1928 Circa 1950s Circa 1950s 1100 South connection to Box Elder Canyon, passing the future site of Eagle Mountain Golf Course

Ken Bott
Mar 241 min read


“Sardine Canyon: Highway 89/91”
After Brigham City was settled, pioneers continued to push north to create new settlements. Mantua was settled in 1863 and a steep, dangerous pioneer route connected Mantua with Cache Valley. For about 70 years, this route was used only during the summer. According to an article on https://mysteryofutahhistory.blogspot.com/2015/05/ “The first Mormon settlers on the way to Cache County in the fall of 1856 likely traveled about the same route to Sardine Summit and to about Dry

Ken Bott
Mar 193 min read
bottom of page

