top of page

Through the Years: 300 North and 100-200 East


After the division into the four wards in 1877, The Fourth Ward was the quadrant east of Main and north of Forest Street. The ward members set aside the property that is now 300 N and 100 E for their school/meeting house. The school was called “Columbia” and 300 North was named Columbia Street (not sure which was named first) as it was the first road north of the original plat that ended at “North Wall” street (changed to 200 N in 1900.) After building their church house, and then Lincoln School, the old school/meeting house became the “Amusement Hall.” It stood until the 1950s when the new 8th Ward house was built and the old 4th ward chapel and amusement hall were destroyed. In the following pics, you can see the 4th Ward building with tower, the building after the tower was removed, the 8th Ward chapel being built with the amusement hall being torn down, one from the side with old Coop tannery building behind it, the the 8th ward chapel finished and in more recent years. Enjoy!

Photos are used for nonprofit, educational, and noncommercial uses only.

1917
1917
After the tower was removed
After the tower was removed
Amusement hall being demolished in front of the 8th ward building. Some building materials from the amusement hall and old chapel were used in construction of the new building
Amusement hall being demolished in front of the 8th ward building. Some building materials from the amusement hall and old chapel were used in construction of the new building
The 8th ward chapel (and later 17th)
The 8th ward chapel (and later 17th)
The tannery just north and east of the chapel in 1968 before fire and demolition
The tannery just north and east of the chapel in 1968 before fire and demolition
More recent pic
More recent pic


bottom of page