Through the Years: 200 North between 200 and 300 W
- Ken Bott

- 7 days ago
- 1 min read
Through the Years: 200 North between 200 and 300 W
The Third Ward built their school/chapel out of log and adobe in 1879 on the corner of 200 N and 300 W. It later burned down. In 1887, they built a new school, “Emerson”. On May 12, 1912, the Third Ward Chapel was dedicated by President Joseph F. Smith and has continued to stand on the corner of 200 North and 200 West.
Emerson School was attended by the school children growing up north of Forest Street and west of Main Street. Emerson School attendees, along with the students from Columbia School (4th Ward) and Webster School (1st Ward, or the “Old Rock School), moved over to the newly built Lincoln School over Thanksgiving, 1911. In 1916, the building was used for the scouting program but, by 1917, the school district was exploring how much the building could be sold for. Research has indicated that the building was sold to a private resident and it was converted into a home. It was reportedly made of concrete though this is somewhat disputed (see attached news article.) Do you know if the building is still in use?
The Third Ward Chapel was added onto in 1955 and continues to serve as a chapel for that area.
Photos are used for educational, nonprofit, and noncommercial uses only.













Comments